June 6, 2007

Biopsy

I have just returned from the hospital.I was there fro a biopsy.A biopsy is the removal of a sample of tissue from the body for examination. The tissue will be examined under a microscope to assist in diagnosis. Therefore, only very small samples are needed.I made the biopsy for the liver.A liver biopsy can be used to confirm diagnoses such as hepatitis, cirrhosis of the liver or tumours.The biopsy is usually performed with the patient lying on their left side with their right shoulder extended and their right hand under their head. It is important to remain in this position and to keep as still as possible. A local anaesthetic will be given to numb the skin.A needle is then guided between two ribs towards the surface of the liver, and the biopsy taken very quickly.Although they gave me anaesthetic believe me,it sucks!